Corn in Minnesota
Minnesota is a major grower of corn. We are 1st in the U.S. for growing sweet corn and 4th for growing field corn.
How is Minnesota corn used?
- 42% is exported to other countries.
- 37% is processed into things like ethanol.
- 14% is used for animal feed.
- 7% is used in other ways.
Corn Fun Facts
- The world record for eating corn on the cob is 33 ½ ears in 12 minutes, held by Ed “Cookie” Jarvis.
- One ear of corn has about 16 rows and 800 kernels. The number of rows is always an even number.
- Some corn plants can grow to be more than 20 feet tall.